Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The waiting game

  Sunday afternoon my parents were able to meet Lucy.  Only one of them is allowed in the NICU with one parent at a time, so it was a little bittersweet that Mike and I couldn't be with them all at the same time.  We stayed after they left to spend a little more time with Lucy.  Never thought I could just sit and stare at her, but it's so easy and the hours seem to go by so fast.  Sunday night was a little different story, I was emotional with little bouts of tears here and there.  This whole process has really changed Mike and my relationship.  The way I know this is, two years ago he would have asked me what was wrong, but Sunday, he just gave me a hug and said "I don't have to go to work tomorrow, if you don't want me to".
He just knew that I was sad about being alone.  I know struggles like these can  sometimes put a wedge between couples, but it has only done us good.

  This week has been a little harder being alone during the week, but I've managed to keep myself busy.  Monday evening my dad dropped me off at the hospital (Mike was coming straight from work).  Lucy was getting her check up and after I sat with her and read her a book.  She kept her eyes open the entire time. It was pretty amazing.  After I was done, she fell asleep.  Mike was able to spend an hour with her as well.

  Tuesday, Mike's mom came with me to meet Lucy.  She was in awe just as we are.  I'm sure she could have spent a couple more just staring, I'm telling you it's so easy.  After Mike showed up, we paged cardiology as they had some news for us.  Cardiology did another echo and the whole in her heart has decreased, so they want to discuss her case again at the Wednesday meeting.  If you recall, the team had decided to split the hybrid into two procedures.  First the band's around the pulmonary artery and then the stent into the aorta.  The first part was supposed to happen at the end of this week.  Due to the narrowing of the PDA, they are now considering doing the entire hybrid at once, but moving the procedure to early next week.  We are supposed to get a call tonight after the weekly meeting with the decision for a plan for Lucy.  Although we know that could change any day.  We're just hoping a final decision can be made soon as the waiting is starting to wear on us.  Prayers for patience during this process are much needed!







1 comment:

  1. Wow, you have one little fighter in that daughter of yours, prayers are awesome, we will keep sending them your way.

    ReplyDelete