Sunday, March 11, 2018

unknown

If you could know what the future holds would you find out?   If you did, would it change how you lived right now?  I've always said I hate the unknown, and that if I could know it now, I would want to.  It's why with both kids, as soon the gender was available, we wanted to know.  I'm a planner, I've said it before.  Knowing means being able to plan.  Unfortunately, CHD means never planning.

I never mind the journey as long as I know the outcome and for the most part I would not change how I lived.  Take for instance Mike and I, I knew I would marry him, right from the start.  But it took two break ups and a move across country to get us there.  That was okay, because I knew!  With Lucy, there hasn't been a lot of 'knowns'.  But if there were, I can say I would changed how I lived at least in one instance.  I would have delayed her fontan, to enjoy one more summer of swimming at the pool, playing at the park and enjoying outside.

Will travel for milk!
Since early December we have been working to clear up small issues that we felt were impacting Lucy's fontan physiology.  The first was her lungs and aspiration.  Our second injection in January has worked wonders and she has been taking all food and drink by mouth with no impact to her lungs.  Then we focused on her GI issues.  At our last inpatient stay, we were able to complete a gastric emptying study.  The results came back normal and we have been puke free since mid February.

However, Lucy's declining oxygen saturations have been of some concern and with no signs of distress (increased breathing or retractions) we were scratching our heads.  Dr. Husayni felt that she was healthy enough for a catherization, so we planned to schedule one mid March.  Then last Tuesday, I put her pulse ox on for her morning spot check and it read 49.  YES, 49!  We called Dr. Husayni immediately and after some discussion we felt that pushing up the catherization would give us the answers we needed.


Tuesday afternoon we waited for a bed to open up and drove down to Advocate Children's hospital.  Lucy was put on high flow to help bring up her 02 levels.  We were scheduled for the catherization Wednesday afternoon.  A couple hours before, they decided to postpone a day to bring her INR level down.  Since this was unplanned we did not have enough time to hold her warfarin the recommended 5 days.  She was given FFP (fresh frozen plasma).  FFP is a blood product made from liquid portion of whole blood.  It is to help with her low clotting factors due to her warfarin regimen.  They added some extra diuretics to remove excess fluid on her lungs to ensure the data from the cath was as accurate as possible.  Once we knew she could eat, Lucy got right to drinking milk.  She chugged (2 mL at a time) almost 16 ounces in about 2 hours.




She was rescheduled for first case Thursday morning.  The cath took about 3 hours.  When Dr. Patel came to get us, I got this feeling in the pit of my stomach.  We walked back to the PSHU and sat down with the entire team, so everyone could here the results at the same time.  Sure enough, the cath results showed her lung pressures were high.  He went over more information and then showed some scans from the cath.  Her right lung was barely getting blood flow and her heart function had decreased.  We went back to Lucy's room to find her still intubated.  She was still really groggy from the anesthesia.  As she started to wake up, her first instinct was to pull that tube right out (I don't blame her).  Within an hour or two we were able to extubate.

Around 6 pm, Dr Husayni came to talk to me about our course of action.  Full disclosure, I knew we were headed for transplant evaluation, but I honestly thought we would get discharged and the process was going to take a couple months.  We moved to the waiting room for some privacy.  He went over the results again, but the one thing that stuck out was her low oxygen levels over the last couple months have resulted in early heart failure.  He had spoken with the team and Lurie Children's Hospital and they suggested a hospital to hospital transfer was best for Lucy and insurance.
"So do you want to go tomorrow?  And just like that.....everything changed.
We thought for Lucy, spending the weekend at Lurie's to get adjusted was going to best, so we started the process for transfer to happen Friday.  Our last night at Advocate Children's hospital had to be special, so Lucy had a princess dinner!  Thank you Dr. Penk for stepping in, as no real princesses were available last minute!


Live every day like it's your last.
Many times you see that saying in the wake of a death.  And it's probably true that enjoying everyday is the best way to live.  But that's easier said than done, especially in daily life.  While no one has passed, our life as we knew it pre-Fontan has died and it is a reality, that it will never be the same.  Does that mean it can't get better? No.  However, everything going forward is unknown and that is scary.

8 comments:

  1. Following your journey and hoping for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying every day for that beautiful little girl and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay Strong!!!! We are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get her to a different hospital for second and third and fourth option. I'm telling u this because I too had high lung pressure for several years. I was told I had pulmonary hypertension for years and docs couldn't figure out what the cause of it was. It took me ten year to finally find a hospital that changed my mitral valve and I've been better since. If I were you guys I'd take her Mayo or even Cleveland heart clinic. I went to cedars Sinai in Los Angeles. I was on transplant list for 167 days until they said ok...let's change her valve and now I'm 36 and healthier and happier and working full time at deaf community services. I could tell u my life story....but it'd be a million pages long. And it all started just like her. I had aortic coarctation that was fixed at 13 months old in 1983 and a bad mitral valve. Finally it was replaced 2016.
    I hope u get more opinions. I used to think the cardiologists at University of Chicago, Northwestern, Georgetown in DC, UCLA, CHILDRENS national in DC were all pretty good right?? Not one said I needed a new valve except for cedars Sinai in LA. Pls bring this girl somewhere else it cannot hurt to go to a top notch heart hospital for congentital heart for her. I almost had a heart and double lung transplant but now I don't need that. My lung pressures went down trenemendoulsy.email me any time cherylravitch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. May You feel the presence of God as you journey together on this difficult path and may you be filled with his peace knowing he is always there with you. I promise you my prayers.
    Terry Schmitt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy has been known to take a turn for the better when you least expect it. I am saying prayers that these complications turn into only a better life for Lucy. Stay strong and take each unknown in stride. You always have done what’s best for her one day at a time. Stay true to your gut and I know you will pull through yet again another difficult time. My prayers continue to be with Lucy and your family. Love you all❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Betsy...my heart is aching for you. I love that little girl to the moon and back. You are an amazing, inspirational woman. And Lucy just blows my mind with how smart and strong she is. I'm glad God picked you to be her mom. Nobody would do as stellar a job as you do. Please let me know if I can do anything. ❤❤❤
    Kristine from PSHU

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you all as you negotiate this new situation. Lucy has been blessed with dedicated, determined and smart parents (and grandparents!)....and the whole world has been blessed with Lucy! We pray for the right path to open for you all.

    ReplyDelete