Friday, April 11, 2014

Rocking out, celebrity style

You know how after a big awards show the gossip magazines always choose a celebrity and follow their day of preparing before the red carpet.  Well since Lucy was such a rock star yesterday I thought we could do the same.

7:00 a.m.  Getting my beauty sleep before the big show

8:00 a.m.  Mom and Dad show up for some family time

8:30 a.m.  The OR nurse stops by to introduce herself (she'll be providing updates to the p's since they can't watch)

9:00 a.m.   My nurse comes in for my evaluation and to start prepping (you know, hair and make-up.  Aka....tubes and monitors)

9:15 a.m.  I need to relax so I spend some time in mom's arms

9:45 a.m.  My entourage shows up for last minute touch ups

9:50 a.m.  The anesthesiologist stops in to introduce himself and see if mom and dad have any questions

10:00 a.m.  We walk to the stage and part ways.

10:15 a.m.  Mom and Dad walk to the cafeteria to get coffee and a snack.  I am getting my meds reviewed and being put under anesthesia.

11:00 a.m.  Mom and Dad find this secret hidden room, called the hospitality room.  It's got a couch, twin bed, tv and private bathroom.  Mom says the smell of the sheets reminds her of me, hopefully we'll change that when we get home.

12:00 p.m.  The nurse comes for the first update.  I am hooked up to bypass.  The surgeons are in the OR and starting the work.  Sara, my nurse, was going to give updates every ninety minutes.

1:30 p.m.  Surgery is still in progress.  I am rocking it out with no surprises.  Everything is going how they expect.  Hooray.

3:00 p.m.  Surgery is done!  I am still hooked up to the bypass machine, but I'm doing all the work.  Dr. Ilbawi and the team will watch my heart work for awhile. They want to make sure I'm not leaking anywhere and nothing needs to be adjusted.  Sara brings a piece of the sano shunt to my parents.  I'll want to see what it's like when I grow up.

4:30 p.m.  I'm officially off bypass.  I did it!  All the prayers helped me so much.  The surgeons will leave my chest bone and skin open to allow for swelling in the next couple days.  Don't worry, they put a patch and gauze over it.

5:30 p.m.  I'm back in my room getting situated.  Whew, I am wiped out.  I'm on a good amount of pain and sedation so that I am comfortable through the first couple days.

6:00 p.m.  Mom and Dad finally get to see me. They talk with the doctors and all went really well.  I'm still coming off anesthesia but I can feel them holding my hand and talking to me. What a relief to be starting recovery.

7:00 p.m.  Mom and Dad give me kisses good night.  I'm pretty tired and need my rest for the days to come.  What an adventure, but I'm glad part one is behind us.


Here's a before and after.  Don't worry I'll start looking better in a couple of days.  Thanks again to all my fans (aka prayer warriors).  I couldn't have done it without all the cheering.





5 comments:

  1. I love how her little pinky is sticking out of the blankie in the first pic! haha Love you Luce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betsy and Mike - Prayers of relief and thankfulness for your sweet little Lucy!! I will continue to pray for her full recovery.
    Sandy Phillip

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have never met but my son Matthew dates Emily. Emily told me about Miss Lucy a while back but texted me to ask for special prayer the night before her surgery. It was such joy to lay your daughter at the feet of our Lord. Praise to Him for His graciousness and wonderful outcome!

    ReplyDelete