Wednesday, July 19, 2017

hindsight

I keep thinking if I had known that Lucy was going to be re-inutbated early Wednesday morning, I would have made sure I held her all day Monday and Tuesday after the chest tubes came out.  Hindsight is cruel.  I have had plenty of cruel thoughts.  What if we fenestrated initially?  What if we didn't go to the cath lab?  What if I had pushed harder for her breathing treatments?  Why didn't I hold her?  Would any changes have gotten us home sooner?  Unfortunately none of those 'ifs' change where we are today, so I am moving on and remember that the day this tube comes out we'll be sitting in the chair together for as long as she'll let me.

I know so many have been waiting since last Wednesday for an update.  I thank you for being patient.
To be honest, not much has changed in the last week.  Wednesday to Friday we were trying to understand the reason for her lung issues.  Cultures of blood, urine and breathing tube along with a viral panel were sent.  All came back negative.  She had been on antibiotics as a precaution, so we aren't sure if those masked anything going on in her lungs.  We continued her breathing treatments in hopes of breaking up lung secretions.  Over the weekend we made minimal changes.  Mike and I just hung out, helped with her treatments and watched movies with Lucy.

Monday morning, the infectious disease doctor came to review Lucy's case to see if we could change or adjust her antibiotic regimen.  The first question she asked was, "who has been visiting?".  This is exactly why we are so strict about visitors.   Unfortunately you don't always know what you have been exposed to and for kids like Lucy, especially when her immune system is down, the littlest things can be devastating.  Her current regimen, they felt covered all her bases and that morning her x-ray looked better than it had since intubation.  Tuesday morning, her right lung had collapsed again.
The next step would be a rigid bronchoscopy.  This procedure is done in the OR under general anesthesia and would remove the large secretions blocking her airway.  Yesterday afternoon, Dr. Sherman (ENT) came to do a bedside evaluation and put her on the schedule as an add on.  She wasn't able to go Tuesday afternoon because you have to be NPO to go under anesthesia.
Can you guess what happened?  You can't, come on.  This morning, her large airways cleared up and x-ray looked better.  All you have to do is schedule something......and it appears that Lucy will then fix it.  With clear airways, a rigid bronchoscopy would not provide any benefit.  Here we are again in another vicious cycle.  Kids do better off the breathing tube after the fontan, to stay off the breathing tube she has to be able to cough up the secretions to keep her lungs open, she is having trouble coughing up secretions because they are thick, her secretions are thick because she is dehydrated, she needs to be dry because of her fontan physiology.  If her x-ray is the same tomorrow morning or even better, the team will start to weigh the risks and benefits of extubating.

Again, we're asking for prayers of strength.
-For Lucy to be strong enough to be extubated for good
-For Mike and I to continue to handle the uncertainty

I'm going to brag a little bit.  Miss Lucy has handled this intubation like a champ.  Usually kids need to be on moderate to heavy sedation in order to not pull the tube out.  But THIS GIRL has been on minimal sedation since Sunday.  She hates the breathing treatments and being deep suction (where they shove a tube down your throat to suction out secretions).  Yet, through every treatment, she follows your directions even as she cries.  Open your mouth...done, cough as hard as you can....done, one more time...done.  This is probably the hardest thing we've been through and she has been polite, respectful and a model patient.  We couldn't be more proud of how she has handled herself!

Only a true hospital kid falls asleep holding her breathing tube.










She was able to get a little play time in with water marbles.  These things are pretty neat.  The more water you add the bigger they get!

7 comments:

  1. My sweet little peanut. My heart is hurting so much for you right now but beating extra hard because I know just how strong your family and that baby is. I'm sending nothing but love, support, strength and prayers to all of you right now. She's such a tough cookie and is one hell of a fighter. Keep strong my love's and when this is all over the lifetime of memories will over take any pain you are experiencing right now. Love you all so much ❤️ love Mrs. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know Lucy through Emily and I am so thankful she has asked me to pray for Lucy. I can't imagine how hard this is for her and for you, her loving parents. I will continue to n pay for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Amy....I would've said all the things you said. Love, support, strength, courage and all the prayers on earth are being said for Lucy, bets and Mike. Be strong little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a super star and the strongest little girl I know! This blog brought me to tears again. The what ifs, the coughing up and sucking out liquids, breathing tubes without sedation.....it's all amazing to me and she does it with such bravery and politeness to the staff working with her. I am saying my prayers of strength and can't wait to give her a hug of joy when she is home and past this difficult time. Stay strong Betsy and Mike. She is the way she is because of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never met Lucy and I've not seen you in decades, Betsy, but I can't wait to see you and meet your precious angel when she regains her strength! I can't imagine the turmoil you, Mike, your son, and your entire extended family are enduring. We pray for all of you every night at bedtime and my munchkins always ask, "how is baby Lucy doing, Mommy?" That play date WILL happen❤️ Looking forward to seeing you at the fund raiser!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw the latest Facebook post. Sarah sent me the picture. The look in her eyes says it all. Being able to hold her is the best medicine there is! So glad you are able to have this moment. Give her a hug for me! Ms Melissa

    ReplyDelete