Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Catch up - the last three appointments.

  We had our fourth echo at the end of December with another cardiologist, Dr. Ghandi, at Advocate Christ.  She was great and complimented us on our attitude.  During the echo she was having trouble getting some shots of the heart and asked if we would go on a walk hoping that the baby would move positions.  When we got back from the walk and she started scanning again, the funniest thing happened.
The first shot was with blood flow and the umbilical cord was showing and Dr. Ghandi said, "There's the penis, you're having a boy right?"  My heart did a flip flop as Mike did an internal fist pump.  But although we're dealing with this heart issue, I'm not so sure I could handle a girl with an extra appendage.
The remaining scans show the same as the previous ones.  We scheduled the follow-up for 4 weeks out and at the time we'll meeting the the fetal maternal group and possibly meet the surgeon.

Next was my regular OB check-up, which included stress test and glucose test.  All those ladies that said the glucose drink was awful, LIARS!!!!  It was delicious.  I would have had a second one if the nurse would have let me.  I passed with flying colors, making my mom proud (although I think she was nervous with all the sweets I eat, that I wouldn't pass).  Puhlease!  The stress test showed constant heartbeat between 135-142 and lots of movement.  This was probably one of my last appointments before I transfer care to Advocate.  I really can't say enough about that team, they have really kept on top of everything even though my care is not fully with them.

Last was the growth ultrasound at Loyola.  At 31 weeks, she is weighing in at 2 pounds 11 ounces.  The doctor says she's a little small, but from everything we have heard babies with congenital heart defects tend to be on the small side.  She will double in weight over the next nine weeks.  We're hoping for a little more and she makes it to 6 pounds but we'll see.  As long as we're seeing growth we're happy.

1 comment: